Sunday 7 January 2007

The Elusive Dorset Dragon



Durdle Door, Lulworth Cove


This has been troubling me for some years. Like most visitors to the coast, whether grockles, incomers or indigenous Dorset people, I had assumed it was just sea erosion around some pushed up rock strata. Then I acquired an old print which showed me, for the first time, that what we had in our midst was evidence of magic, as practiced thousands of years ago, back in the mists of time.

What I now think has, obviously, happened, is that when the Blessed Time of the Goddess was coming to the end, the upstart magicians could not cope with Her Companion Animals continuining to roam around as if they owned the place, so they were magically encapsulated, first in chalk and then encased in rock. Over the millenia they became covered with natural deposits and their shapes became just another mound in the landscape. Some, such as Silbury Hill and the mounds at Badbury Rings, were used for other practices in following times, but this particular Dragon, in its magical encapsulation, became visible through coastal erosion.

This picture, although small, shows most of the Dragon's length, beginning at the right from his nose dipped in the sea, drinking or scooping up molluscs, along his arched neck, up the ridge of his back and continuining along the length of his spine, his tail buried under the sand in this idyllic little bay.

southwestcoastpath.com

I became convinced of my theory when I found the following photograph when trawling the web for some insight, evidence even. It is impossible to identify the person who is feeding the dragon, doubtless some anonymity was desired, but it was posted on a blog and is obviously the Dorset Dragon. It is good to know that Her Blessed Companion Animals are still recognised, and venerated, where they are found.

travelblog.org

The time of the magicians also came to an end. I think the figure cut into a chalk hillside, known as the Cerne Abbas Giant is their own attempt to ensure their prowess is not forgotten in following centuries.

POST SCRIPT EDIT: At the time of writing this I did not know of the Centre for Fortean Zoology

who, I believe, have reported on a Dorset Dragon skull.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger spotted elephant said...

This is wonderful! But, I hope that guy feeding the dragon is careful.

Sunday 7 January 2007 at 18:20:00 GMT  
Blogger Sally said...

Thanks S Ellie - I didn't think to say not to let Bumble look over your shoulder at this post ! I wouldn't want him (her ?) to worry unnecessarily about what is out there !

Tuesday 9 January 2007 at 12:16:00 GMT  

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment ... all comments are moderated and will be published soon.

<< Home